Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Byredo Gypsy Water




A niche line of fragrances usually carried at only specialty doors, Byredo is a fascinating collection. In the collection one in particular catches my attention, Gypsy Water. The name alone calls to my spirit but better yet, the notes. They begin with top notes of bergamot, lemon, pepper and juniper berries; middle notes of incense, pine needles and orris end in notes of amber, vanilla and sandalwood. A lover of vanilla, amber and sandalwood this was one I thought to be in the oriental family. I would have thought with the dark note of incense and amber combined with the vanilla and sandalwood it would have been a more sensual scent. However, I detect very little of the incense and immediately pick put lemon. The pine needle is undetectable which is a good thing, for that was the one note I could do without.

It is a completely unexpected scent; the notes do not speak for how this scent came together. It opens to a more effervescent due to the lemon with a sweeter dry down due to the vanilla. The other notes of pepper, pine, orris and incense off- set this so that it can be interpreted as a unisex scent. However sweet and powdery, just enough so that a woman will enjoy it but with just a touch of masculinity that a man can wear it well. I love how the whole scent came together, it certainly not what I expected but was a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment